Blog Traffic Tips Newsletter by Yaro Starak
Here’s a simple way to score offline publicity for your blog that could lead to a nice traffic boost and exposure to a new group of readers…
Have you considered approaching newspapers with a story about your blog?
Recently I enjoyed the rewards of a news story that circulated both online and offline that sent traffic to both my blogs.
The story featured a proposed listing of the top 100 Australian blogs. You can see the updated latest version here:
As I type this my blogs have position two and seven, but that’s not really saying much because lists like this are quite arbitrary.
What matters was the coverage the list attracted. Not only was it featured quite prominently online on many blogs, the story made it to a mainstream Melbourne newspaper.
While I can’t directly correlate this event as wholly responsible for the traffic boost, during the week after the news circulated I noticed around a 10% increase in RSS subscribers.
The beauty of newspaper publicity is it attracts a new audience to your blog. Many bloggers get stuck re-using the same traffic techniques over and over again.
This isn’t necessarily a bad thing if you are getting results, but you tend to attract the same type of reader and in most cases experience diminishing returns, where each time you apply the technique the results are not quite as good as last time.
It’s important to market your blog using many different avenues to attract traffic from many sources. Newspaper publicity is possibly one of the easiest and cheapest offline marketing tools available to bloggers, if you can come up with an interesting enough angle to get attention.
The key to success is coming up with an interesting hook – a unique story – that a newspaper journalist finds interesting.
Remember journalists are hungry for content and if you have something with broad appeal and a good angle it might just take a phone call or an email to your local newspaper editor to land some coverage.
You never know until you try, and yes I’m talking from experience, it has worked for me before.
A few years ago I shot off a handful of emails to local newspapers and magazines attaching several pre-written press releases about a small business I was launching.
The result was two articles – one published in an Australia wide computer magazine and another in my local newspaper.
Not a bad outcome and something anyone could replicate. There is no reason why you can’t do the same for your blog.
Here’s to your blogging success,
- How To Choose The Right Blog Topic
- How To Get More Blog Comments
- How To Build A Popular Blog
- Don’t Make This Mistake With Your Blog
- The Secret Of My Blog’s Success – The Pillar Article
- Is Blogging About Your Mistakes A Good Idea?
- Do You Have To Blog Full Time To Succeed?
- How One Technique Increased My Traffic By 25%
- What Is A Trackback And How Can It Increase Your Blog Traffic?
- How To Interlink Your Blog Articles To Increase Traffic
- How To Laser Target Your Blog Traffic
- How To Attract More RSS Subscribers
- Start Relationships For Win-Win Blogging
- Are You Trying To Run Before You Can Walk?
- Make Money From Your Blog Selling Text Links
- WordPress Bloggers – Install This Plugin To Boost Your Traffic
- The Power Of Credibility
- How To Deal With Negative Comments On Your Blog
- How To Leverage Online Forums For Blog Traffic
- What Is The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique?
- How Important Is SEO For Your Blog?
- The Death Of Link Exchanges
- Where To Find Photos To Use In Your Blog
- What Do You Want To Achieve From Blogging?
- Do You Blog Strategically?
- Don’t Forget The Newbies
- Competing For Attention In An Attention Deficit Blogosphere
- How To Be An Exceptional Blogger
- How To Create A Community At Your Blog
- Does Your Blog Have A Hook?
- Why Being Perfect Can Hurt Your Blog
- How One Blogging Technique Attracted 6000 New Subscribers
- Track Your Long Tail Trends For Traffic
- Track Your Blog Traffic Using Alexa
- Does Your Blog Design Matter?
- Why You Must Be A Thought Leader
- Establish Preeminence With A Pillar Article Series
- Is It Time For A Kick In The Pants?
- Why Do RSS Readers Unsubscribe From Blogs?
- Have You Considered Selling Ads Directly From Your Blog?
- Sell Direct Advertising On Your Blog Using This System
- How To Attract Blog Sponsors
- How To Kick-Start The Launch Of A New Blog
- Try This Tip To Attract Offline Traffic To Your Blog
- Apply This HTML Code Tip For Better Blog Headings
- The Most Powerful Blog Traffic Technique
- Can You Make Your Blog Readers Feel Like This…
- The Secret To Successful Blogging
- Why Bloggers Don’t Make Money From Affiliate Programs
- How Does Getting Paid $500 An Hour Sound To You?
The following lessons are from my original “blog traffic king” email newsletter, my first ever email course with one lesson per week delivered for a year. There are some real gems in these articles too, so don’t skip them!