Brendan Hill got his start online using a simple formula. He traveled overseas to Europe, purchased signed football jerseys, then returned to Australia to sell them at a profit.
With Australia being so far from Europe, it was difficult for Aussies to source signed clothing, so Brendan’s idea immediately bore fruit – he had customers.
Fast forward a few years and Brendan’s business has grown to a profitable, multiple six-figure earning website, which he decided to sell.
After finding a buyer, Brendan had a nice chunk of money in the bank. He was ready for his next challenge… which turned out to be Angel Investing.
Angel Investing In Australia
The start of this podcast focuses on Brendan’s e-commerce business story, including some fascinating insights into how to scale up an e-commerce website.
During the second half of the interview, we switch gears to look at how Brendan has taken some of the cash from the sale of his business and placed bets on up-and-coming Australian companies.
I connected with Brendan on an Angel investing slack group, and later participated in his first syndicated deal in a company called Tiliter, a company that uses AI to identify products that do not have barcodes (like fruits and vegetables).
I’ve also taken angel investing far more seriously in the last two years, reinvesting the money I made from my first ever angel investment in Australia in CarAdvice.com.au (you can hear that story in my interview with Alborz Fallah, the founder of CarAdvice).
I was keen to learn about Brendan’s investment philosophy, why he is focusing on Australia, what deals he has done so far, and how he is using AngelList to help syndicate deals.
If you are interested in e-commerce and/or angel investing, this podcast is definitely for you.
Enjoy the episode.
- Brendan Hill’s Syndicate on Angel List
- Brendan Hill’s LinkedIn Profile
- PremierSportsMemorabilia.com (Brendan’s first E-Commerce Business)
- The Lean Startup (Book)
- Built To Sell (Book)
- Angel (Book) – Jason Calacanis’ book about angel investing
- Angel List
- Tiliter – Artificial Intelligence Produce Scanner
- Tiliter [Video Demo]
- GROW Super (Brendan’s first angel investment)
- Cheq.com.au (One of Brendan’s recent investments)
- University Of New South Wales – Founders Program
- Neil Patel
- Jason Calacanis
- Y Combinator
- Tim Ferriss
- UNICEF Australia
If You Enjoyed This Episode, You May Also Like…
- How Dane Maxwell Created A Multimillion Dollar Passive Income Software Business By Age 32
- Founder Of CrazyEgg And KISSmetrics, A Legend In The Traffic Generation Industry And A 6-Figure Earner Before Turning 18 – This Is Neil Patel
- Greg Smith: Founder Of Canadian Tech Startup Thinkific Explains How They Used MVPs To Build A Hugely Successful Subscription Software Company
- From Buying Property, To Angel Investing, Bitcoin, Ethereum And Index Funds — This Is How I Invest My Money